Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What a wonderfully horrible day!




My family had quite a day on Saturday. It all started out great -  Mindy was working around the house finishing up some painting on our basement. Kenneth was playing with friends, and I was going 4 wheeling with a friend.

Well, I had a great time 4 wheeling - we went from the Sand Creek reservoir up to the Island Park reservoir. We then rode into Island Park and stopped for gas and a hamburger. We headed back to the truck after that. Approximately 1 or 2 miles from my truck is where this day went horribly wrong.

I was going pretty fast, maybe 40mph, when I suddenly realized there was a barbwire fence across the road, right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and well the brakes work really well on my 4 wheeler. I went right over the handle bars, the 4 wheeler came tumbling over after me, and I ended up in a pile of pain on the dirt road, only a few feet from the barbwire fence. My 4 wheeler landed on top of me and I probably said some words that are not appropriate to be repeated. I had hurt my arm and both my legs pretty bad. I finally got up and had no other choice but to ride my broken butt out of there.

We loaded up our 4 wheelers and headed home. Just before we got to St. Anthony, which is where my friend lives, I received an alarming phone call. It was one of the dispatchers from the Sheriff’s office. He asked me if I had heard from my wife yet. My mind started to really race at this point. He told me he didn’t know the whole story yet, but the QRU and the cops were all headed to my house. WOW I probably said some more inappropriate words again. He told me that my police dog, Jenny, and my personal dog, Harley, got into a fight, and someone got bit in the process. He told me he thought it was a grandma that had been bitten. I was overwhelmed at this point I was trying to figure out what was going on. I thought maybe my mother in-law, Susan, had been bitten by Jenny.

I called the house and talked to my son. He sounded pretty frightened, but he told me that Harley and Jenny got into a fight and my wife, Mindy, had been bitten. I asked him how bad it was and he couldn’t really tell me. Well I dropped of my friend at his house and raced home. Don’t worry, I wasn’t speeding too fast because it’s hard to drive an old stick shift truck with one arm, while talking on a cell phone.

I got home and there were still several QRU trucks and a police car out front of my house. I’m sure the neighbors were wondering what in the world was going on, especially when I got there, and hobbled up to the front door.

Mindy had blood all over her pants, and she was in tears when I arrived. We loaded up and my sister took us both to the hospital. One of the officers had already loaded up Jenny and taken her to the vet clinic. At the hospital, I found out my arm was broken. The doc said it is my upper radial head that shattered (one of the bones in my forearm broke right inside my elbow). Mindy’s foot was not broken, but the puncture wounds were pretty deep.

There is so much more to this story, but I’m typing with one hand, and it takes forever. Anyway, we are all going to be ok, Kenneth and my baby sister has been taking really good care of us.


And that is my wonderfully horrible day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment