Sunday, March 12, 2006


     This last shift ended with an exclamation point. I was working the day shift, and was actually looking forward to my next day, because i had made plans to go Snowmobiling. I went to a house fire, that was bad, but not too bad. I remember feeling bad for the family, because they had a lot of cleanup and work ahead of them. I left that residence and headed back to the Sheriff's office. The moment I pulled into the parking lot, I was told that a co-workers home was on fire. I will just call him Sgt. for now. I did a double take, and realized that my dispatcher did not stutter, in fact she was pretty clear about it. I ran code all the way to his residence. As i got close i could tell this was a very big fire. There was a lot of smoke. I drove past the residence and noticed Sgt. was  standing outside. I set up a roadblock on the far side of the residence. As i drove past the house, I could tell the home was going to be a total loss. There were flames totally engulfing the garage area, and they were quickly spreading to the house. I noticed that his patrol vehicle was parked near the garage, and it was on fire as well.

     Sgt. was devastated. He was very emotional and just couldn't believe what he was seeing. I felt very bad for him, and really wished I could have said something that would fix it all. But there really isn't anything to say when a man's house is burning to the ground. He is a good friend of mine, and has always looked out for me. He has a place to stay, and I believe he has insurance, so in the big scheme of things it is truly one of those times that he can say, at least no one was hurt. His family was OK, and he was OK when it comes down to it that's was truly matters. 



  1. Because he always looks out for you, that\'s probably a reason you were there; to look after him in that moment.  I know that sounds very PollyAnna, but having something like that happen without a friendly face would be even more frightening, if that\'s at all possible.
    You\'ll be on my heart today.  Your friend also.
    Thank you for the compliment/comment of my entry today.  I believe your thoughts are very well written.

  2. What is it with house fires this weekend?  My brother called me
    Saturday morning and said, "I called to tell you that Mom\'s apartment
    burned up Friday.  She\'s okay, but she lost everything and didn\'t
    have renters insurance."  It\'s actually the power company and the
    apartment owner\'s faults due to faulty wiring.  I\'m sorry to hear
    about your friend.  It\'s upsetting even for us who witness this
    type of tragedy, knowing that it\'s effecting those we care about. 
    Take care!

  3. I know what you mean. "Sgt. Writes memos alot" told me as I walked into the so that night. I felt like I had been socked in the gut. Let me know if the department is going to do anything. I can get the city guys to pitch in.
    Good song on the space.
           Feels bad